For this entry we have a special guest post from my good friend #koolala, who recreated a Jamie Oliver salmon recipe with much finesse. We decided to feature this recipe for TummyTroll as we felt that it was a simple, easy dish that students like us could easily whip up even with our limited culinary skills; yet nutritious, refreshingly creative and most importantly delicious! Thank you #koolala :)
The above is Asian Style Wild Alaskan Salmon, a dish adapted from Jamie Oliver’s recipe of Asian Style Salmon. Like typical Southeast-Asian cuisine, this dish derives strong flavours from garlic, shallots and ginger. The chilli and lime enhance the flavours further and give it a more refreshing taste as well!
Garlic, shallots and ginger usually go well with salmon; they add much “fragrance”. For those who prefer simpler and plainer dishes, Jamie Oliver’s recipe would be just right as the flavour of the marinade is relatively milder. However if you prefer strong flavors like me, you may add more garlic or shallots. Do not use them excessively though, or they will dominate the delicate taste of the salmon. Without further ado, let’s look at my adaptation of the recipe! :)
Ingredients for Asian Style Wild Alaskan Salmon: Serves 2-3
Asian Style Wild Alaskan Salmon
~400g of salmon
6 cloves of garlic
5 shallots (Jaime Oliver uses onions but I used shallots for stronger flavours)
1 teaspoon of minced ginger
1/2 of a red chilli (Tip: Remove all the seeds so it doesn’t get too spicy)
1/2 of a large-sized lime OR 1 small-sized lime
1/2 tablespoon of light soy sauce
Salt (to taste)
Black pepper (to taste)
Baking tray/ baking dish
Microwave oven and a heatproof bowl/ a frying pan
- Preheat your baking oven to 180 degrees Celcius for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make several cuts on the top of the salmon (skin face up) with a depth of about half the thickness of the salmon, so that the marinade seeps well into the fish.
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper evenly over the salmon. Leave it aside on a baking tray/baking dish while you proceed to assemble the main marinade.
- Blend the garlic, shallots, minced ginger, chilli, lime and light soy sauce into a juicy pulp. (Tip: taste the “juice” and make any necessary addition of ingredients to get the taste you prefer.)
- Pour 3/4 of the “juice” over the salmon. Spread it evenly (top and bottom) to ensure the salmon is marinated well.
- Place the baking tray/baking dish into the oven for about 10-12min to cook the salmon.
- Just before the salmon is ready, pour the remaining 1/4 of “juice” into a heatproof bowl and heat it up using the microwave. Alternatively, you may also heat it up using a frying pan.
- When the salmon and “juice” are both done, pour the remaining “juice” over the salmon as the marinade might have dried up in the oven.
- With this, you’re all ready to experience the Asian-style salmon! :)
Posted by #phangchewfat on behalf of #koolala