Green tea and salmon – sounds like a dodgy combination to you? Definitely not! For fans of green tea, for its health benefits in the form of antioxidants, or simply for its mild yet delightful taste, this is a great (not to mention simple) recipe for a main course. For a rice accompaniment, click here for a recipe. This food blogger has come up with an interesting idea of complementing green tea salmon with green coconut brown rice!
Ingredients for Green Tea Salmon: Serves 1
Green Tea Salmon
1 small piece of salmon, enough to serve 1 (About 70g)
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp teriyaki sauce (for marinade)
1 green tea bag
Mixture of corn flour and water
1. Cut salmon into small pieces before marinating. (This is when science lessons about increasing surface area to volume ratio comes in handy!)
2. Marinate salmon in a mixture of mirin and teriyaki sauce for 10-20 minutes.
3. Prepare hot green tea. To do so, pour boiling water over the tea bag and steep for 5 minutes. Do not add too much boiling water, to ensure that the taste of green tea is not diluted.
4. Pan fry the salmon with olive oil. Do not add any additional marinade into the pan itself, as it will overpower the taste of green tea later on.
5. Add the green tea into the pan and cover the pan with a lid.
6. Finally, thicken the sauce with a mixture of corn flour and water.
Marinating the salmon with mirin and teriyaki sauce
Preparing the green tea mixture in a cup
Posted by #tumtianthui