@phangchewfat calls this the best brownies – I call them the foolproof brownies because it’s so simple, yet the texture and taste will not fall below your expectations! The recipe makes a dense brownie because of the use of the Muscovado/brown sugar. Also, the brownie is perfect for chocolate lovers. Instead of using cocoa powder, it uses 200g of chocolate- oh the goodness (and the sinfulness) of it all!
The ingredients are easily accessible, and you don’t need any special equipment – you are well equipped to mix the ingredients with a simple whisk or fork. Also, you can tweak the measurements to suit your taste. This is a good basic brownie recipe as well – you can add in nuts, chocolate chips, oreo bits… anything you can easily imagine! :)
Ingredients for Baked Brownies: Serves 10-12
Best Baked Brownies
125g unsalted butter
200g dark chocolate
180g light Muscovado or regular brown sugar
85g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
75g walnuts, lightly toasted, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line the base of an 18cm square pan, don’t grease the edges because this will fry the brownies on the sides.
- Place the butter (chopped, for faster melting) and chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. This prevents the chocolate from burning.
- After the butter and chocolate have melted, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Beat the sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt into the mixture.
- Beat the eggs and then add to the mixture, mixing well.
- Add the flour, beating until smooth. Fold in the walnuts. (Remove as much skin off the walnuts as you can as it leaves a bitter taste.)
- Pour mixture into pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a moist crumbs attached.
- Allow to cool, before cutting into squares.
- Top with a dollop with ice cream – and if you’re feeling decadent (as we were), dulche de leche!
- Serve :D