This muffin is full of lemon goodness. The light touch of lemon zest adds flavour to what would originally have been a recipe for a basic muffin. This is surely a good way to make the best out of your lemons – now, don’t throw that leftover lemon peel!
Ingredients for Lemon Muffins: Makes 9 muffins
250g plain flour (sifted)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
80ml vegetable oil
1. Heat oven to 200C. Grease muffin tin.
2. Always remember to separate your wet and dry ingredients – combine sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt in one bowl.
3. Combine milk, oil and egg in another bowl. Blend well.
4. Add dry ingredients all at once.
5. Fold until the dry ingredients are moistened, and the mixture is well mixed. Never ever use a hand mixer to do this as it will cause the texture of the muffin to be hard and dry.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes till golden brown.
Note: when you grate the lemon, make sure you are using the outer layer. Grating the inner layer (where the whitish bits are) will produce bitter results!
Why not try this with our Step-By-Step: Homemade Lemon Curd? :)