Fried rice is a simple and nutritious dish to make – you get to clear leftover rice from dinner the day before, and it combines carbo, protein and fibre all in one wok. This dish, a signature dish of Thailand, adds a twist to your usual fried rice with two simple ingredients – pineapple and turmeric powder. These ingredients colour your rice and make the rice more aesthetically pleasing and tastier as well.
There are different methods to cook the pineapple rice. As I was using leftover rice (I concocted my plan to cook pineapple rice slightly before lunch), I added turmeric powder to the rice to colour it. Alternatively, you can cook the rice grains in diluted pineapple juice so that it absorbs the flavour of the pineapple fully.
Ingredients for Pineapple Fried Rice: serves 4
Pineapple Fried Rice
2 cups rice – Use day old rice so that the rice grains do not clump together. Alternatively, if you are using freshly cooked rice, refrigerate it for 1 hour before use.
6-7 prawns, diced
1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1 can pineapple chunks, diced
Some pineapple juice
- Mix the rice with about 1-2 tablespoons of turmeric powder. This gives the pineapple rice it’s flavorful colour. Alternatively, you can cook the rice in diluted pineapple juice, using pineapple juice from the can.
- Fry the eggs. Scramble them as fast as you can so that they do not stick to the wok.
- Add in the rice and stir fry. At this point, season the mixture with soy sauce and pepper.
- Add in the mixed vegetables and pineapple chunks.
- Add in some pineapple juice – just a little bit will do as you do not want the rice to be too damp!
- Cover the wok and let the fried rice simmer.
- Add in the prawns.
- Top with pork floss and serve.